Etiquette

Etiquette questions? Ask an etiquette Expert for answers ASAP

I was brought up to tip when served at a table but not tip…

I was brought up to...
I was brought up to tip when served at a table but not tip when served at a counter. Now, I see tip jars everywhere, such as at ice cream stands. Have the rules changed and it is now expected to tip at a counter?
11/26/2017
Rev Dr August Abbott
Rev Dr August Abbott, Adult Etiquette Pro

I am August Abbott, formally trained x12 yrs private school:international protocols, etiquette. Please allow a few mins. to compose your response.

This is a very good question and it's one I address quite frequently in my work. When you find those tip jars at counter served food and/or drink venues it is not required to contribute. If you are a repeat customer it would be generous of you to give perhaps your change now and then; if the service is exceptional it may be considered a 'thank you' offering or if your order is complicated or special in any way you might 'tip', but even in these circumstances it is not 'required'.

Unfortunately, some employees are not aware of the rules of etiquette and seem to expect those tip jars to fill up; however, tipping is usually to supplement a server's typically less than minimum wage income (many states have now made minimum wage for service workers a requirement) and to give servers a hopefully well deserved 'pat on the back' in a meaningful and tangible form ($).

Hopefully this puts an end to your dilemma and please feel free to ask for me here with regard to any future etiquette questions. It would be my honor to work with you

Rev Dr August Abbott
Rev Dr August Abbott
Rev Dr August Abbott