Etiquette

Etiquette questions? Ask an etiquette Expert for answers ASAP

I have a peculiar situation. My sister lives in Indy raised…

Good morning. I have...

Good morning. I have a peculiar situation. My sister lives in Indy raised in MIch. She comes up every Christmas to get together one on one with "Family and Friends". This year has invited everyone to a Christmas play and snack after making it better for her. We met and she asked me if I was coming after she had already confirmed with everyone else and I said yes assuming that it was all females. She listed everyone that was coming and the only one left without their partner was me. Four years ago there was a stupid incident that occurred cause she wanted it her wayl. Quick overview she was asked not to do something did it anyway and there was a sharp tongue incident and she was going to "rescue Me". I told her know repeated cause I knew her tone and words set off the reaction Since that time she will not come over to where I am cause we am since my fiancé is there. So 4 years when she comes to town I go to where she wants to meet. I felt I was misinformed about the event so I am planning on telling her I cannot attend with everybody's spouse there but mine. I am going to send a check to reimburse her for event. It isn't right. How do I do it gracefully

Expert's Assistant: The Etiquette Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else the Etiquette Expert should be aware of?

Only that my sister wants things her way and will hold an incident forever and ever.

11/21/2017
JohnACM
JohnACM, Etiquette Coach

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a Licensed Professional Counselor. I am reviewing your question and will reply in a moment.

It appears she has put you in a difficult predicament. Since she invited and you accepted in person, I think you should tell her you have changed your mind at least over he phone. I say you call her and tell her what you told me, you assumed it was all female when you accepted, You do not feel right attending as the only one without your spouse. there is no guarantee she will take it gracefully, but it is the right thing to do. Does that make sense?
I want to thank you for your suggestion. I had something written but I think the phone is a better way to go. I always was told to take care of your younger sister which I have always done and a lot of times it was a challenge to do it but I did. I have spent at least 2 weeks pondering this and was so happy to find an unbiased answer. All my friends gave the same advise but they are my friends. Again thank you for giving me a professional objective answer.

Well, I'm glad I could be of help, If you have any more questions you know where to find me.

Would you do me a favor now and give me a positive rating so I can be paid?

JohnACM
JohnACM, Etiquette Coach