Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist

My son and daughter in law are both in the army. They

Customer Question

My son and daughter in law are both in the army. They married over a year ago in a court house in New York because she suddenly received orders to deport to Kuwait. Since her return they lived briefly in New York before my sons assignment to Germany and hers to South Carolina. They will both be able to spend the Christmas holiday with our family in California this year. I would like to have some sort of casual open house reception for friends and family to meet this young woman. I am at a loss as to what the invitation should say except some "no gifts" reference. Any advice is very welcome.
JA: The Etiquette Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Etiquette Expert should know?
Customer: We are not a formal family.
Category: Etiquette
Expert:  Cher replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question right now and will post back with a reply, soon. Your patience is appreciated.

Expert:  Cher replied 4 months ago.

When you say you would like to "have some sort of casual open house reception for friends and family to meet this young woman," do you mean no set time (well, a start time, of course), just have people dropping in and leaving when they're ready, or would you put a time frame on the invitation, like: From 3PM to 9PM?

Will you have a buffet for the food/beverage selections?

Do you want to specifically include that the purpose of the get-together is to meet your son's new wife, or just to see your son and his wife, since they have not been home for a while, due to their Army assignments?

Thanks for all your additional information; after you reply, I will begin work on your answer.

Expert:  Cher replied 4 months ago.

Hi, again.

I was hoping to get some additional information from you, but I didn't want you to wait any longer for an answer.

What about something along these lines:

Please join us to celebrate the marriage of our son (insert his name) and new daughter-in-law (insert her name), on

We're sure to have lots of fun with great family and friends, great food & drink and great wishes for the wonderful couple!

No gifts, please. Just bring yourself and a smile!

Then write your name

Underneath, an RSVP date. You don't need to enclose an RSVP card, but just your phone number and/or email.

You can design the invitation yourself, on sites like these:

(if you want to make it an 'evite' and not mail it)

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Your satisfaction is my ultimate goal and I welcome any follow-up questions you may have on this subject, at no additional charge.

At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients.

Warmest wishes,