Etiquette

Etiquette questions? Ask an etiquette Expert for answers ASAP

I have been invited to a 50th wedding anniversity party. is…

Customer Question
I have been invited...

I have been invited to a 50th wedding anniversity party . is a gift approrpriate ?

Expert's Assistant: The Etiquette Expert will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Etiquette Expert can help you best.

I have been invited to a 50th wedding anniversiery party. is a gift approriate ?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Etiquette
10/24/2017
Etiquette Expert: Rev Dr August Abbott, Adult Etiquette Pro replied 8 months ago
Rev Dr August Abbott
Rev Dr August Abbott, Adult Etiquette Pro

I am August Abbott, formally trained x12 yrs private school:international protocols, etiquette. Please allow a few mins. to compose your response.

As long as the invitation did not specify in some polite way, "no gifts" - then yes, a gift is appropriate. The 50th is the 'Golden' anniversary and gifts usually revolve around that theme. If you're not in a position to give gold coins or bars of gold (you're in very good company) - creative gifts are much more fun. From 50 $1 bills to a 'gold' membership to a club or 'gold' pass to a season of local plays or concerts - what I would suggest is to steer of commemorative items. Most people at this point in their lives really don't want more 'stuff' to have to display and dust or to tuck away in storage.

With this in mind lean toward something the couple can use. A gift certificate in the amount of $50 to their favorite restaurant; as mentioned earlier - cash; even a gift card for grocery stores, dry cleaners, etc.

You know them well enough to be invited to this special event so let your creative side show. This celebration is more about sharing a relatively rare event with people they respect and care about. So let your gift reflect the 'you' they know and love