Etiquette

Etiquette questions? Ask an etiquette Expert for answers ASAP

I am a 37 year old married mother of two, as well as a small…

Hello,My name is ***** *****...
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I am a 37 year old married mother of two, as well as a small business owner from Phoenix, Arizona.Growing up as the child of a United States Marine - manners, conduct and excellent behavior was an exorbitantly intrinsic structure in my childhood. Being brought up this way gave me a deep and abiding respect for the fundamentals of civility, politeness and tact, and as an adult I have a near fascination with etiquette.  There has been quite an extreme shift in today’s society, it seems to be more and more of an acceptable trend to lack basic civil courtesies, so much so that it’s to the point where it is almost down right congratulated… (More so after this last presidential election! YIKES!!)I firmly believe that if etiquette were more widely taught, that this whole unmannerly trend can get turned around.As an etiquette expert, I’m sure that you feel as I do, that etiquette is a crucial proponent to civilizing today’s society, and has become a dyer necessity that must be more readily taught.I am considering becoming a professionally certified etiquette consultant, and I’ve researched many different etiquette schools that train and certify their students to become qualified etiquette consultants. In a nut shell - they are train the trainer type programs that take anywhere from 1-5 days and can cost between $400 on up to $6,500 depending on the program.My question to you is… As an etiquette expert, do you feel like this is a venture that can be somewhat lucrative for those of us who want to follow in your footsteps? Are companies, parents, and others seeking out etiquette training to better themselves?Some of the etiquette train the trainer schools I have been considering are: The American School Of Protocol; Emily Post; Etiquette Mom’s, and the Washington School Of Protocol.Thank you so much for your time and for your expertise. I have so much respect for the difference that you are making in our world and I look up to you so very much!Sincerely, *****
9/14/2017
Rev Dr August Abbott
Rev Dr August Abbott, Adult Etiquette Pro

I am August Abbott, formally trained x12 yrs private school:international protocols, etiquette. Please allow a few mins. to compose your response.

Certifications across so many lines of subjects has muddled the meaning of expertise in quite a few of them. This said, that piece of paper opens doors that would otherwise be tightly closed, rightly or wrongly.

I often host proper tea parties at private schools, churches, synagogues and select other clubs and organizations hoping to instill just the basic sense of propriety in the impressionable: Children. At a right proper tea party the ladies should be dressed in actual dresses, with kid gloves and a hat. The gentlemen must wear a suit with polished shoes and neat hair.

The men (usually between 6 and 10 years old) hold the ladies' chairs and learn how to bow. Ladies (of the same age group) learn to curtsy - including the degree of curtsy saved for high royalty.

The kids LOVE this tea party and soak up the etiquette of proper behavior like little sponges. They actually want a guideline in their lives - making things so much easier than having to guess at what they should do in social situations which often leads to chaos and misbehavior. Even adults want clear and easy 'rules' to follow rather than worry about a faux pas that may cause others to judge them.

Most of the time when I hear people indignantly say they wouldn't change their behavior in the audience of the president or the queen of England - I feel it's because they just don't know how to change their behavior.

In any event, I digress. I personally know of the Amer. Sch of Protocol and Washington School of Protocol as quality educational opportunities; I cannot comment on the others having no knowledge of their curriculum.

Having spent 12 years learning proper U.S. and UK etiquette protocols in a private school - it's hard to comprehend anyone learning all there is to know about the subject in a 5 day course (online) or even a month long course. Not that a myriad of subjects cannot be addressed in that amount of time, but the question of retention occurs to me. It takes practice and memory to know how to set a proper table, for example, since settings span from informal to royal. That's just one small area - I'd spend a whole day on this subject since it also encompasses how to hold one's fork and where to place one's silverware during a meal and to indicate a meal is finished.

Then there is party etiquette from barbecue to ball room, weddings, mitzvahs, religious ceremonies, even birthday celebrations. Another whole day at least. Etiquette with regard to proper dress for different occasions from casual to white tie.

Just remember that proper etiquette is an art form that flows beautifully, never stiff or arrogant. When you've accomplished that, you know you've mastered it.

I wish you all the best and admire you for wanting to pursue this endeavor. As for it being lucrative, I'm afraid not. A tea party event is quite often a 'free will donation' when it's at a non profit/charitable org. with suggested offering being $200 for 45 minutes. Adult teaching events (again, you would host a 'party' or meal) varies depending on locale, number of people and what, if anything you will be supplying.

Working with wedding planners as their etiquette coach for bridal parties interested in doing it 'right' are usually the more well paying jobs with the planner taking a percentage of the cost that they negotiate.

Be creative, find your niche and network, network, network.

Good luck and best wishes

Rev Dr August Abbott
Oh my, this was an outstanding response. I am beyond grateful for all the info, tid bits, insight, and advice that you have provided. I am in awe of your knowledge and look up to you more than I can explain. I hope that the Just Answer organization knows how much of an asset they have in you as one of their experts. Thank you again.
Sincerely,
Kelley Mackaig