Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369

Wedding reception seating place cards: I am doing the

Customer Question

wedding reception seating place cards: I am doing the calligraphy; the bride has not included "titles (Ms. Mrs. Mr.)" except for the doctors (Dr. John Doe). Is it correct to use only Dr. and not use title for anyone else; or is it correct to use no titles?
JA: The Wedding Planner will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Wedding Planner should know?
Customer: I'm also the calligrapher for the Rehearsal Dinner. It is a more casual affair but in a very nice restaurant. Is it proper to use no titles?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Etiquette
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hello, again.

For a formal wedding, using place cards on the table, the names should be preceded by their prefix, like Mr., Ms., etc. For a more casual event, like the rehearsal dinner, the prefix doesn't have to be used, unless the bride requests it.

Before beginning, I would discuss this with the bride and make sure she does not want the prefix used for the place cards, and you can ask about the rehearsal dinner place cards, as well.

I realize you want to do the right thing, but at the same time, you want to please the bride, so this is the 'rule,' (re: the prefix) and just ask her, so she receives what she wants.

This might help:

https://www.weddingpaperdivas.com/ideas/wedding-place-card-etiquette/

-------------------

I hope you feel that I have given you Great Service. If so, a 5 star rating would be very appreciated. Your rating should be based solely on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated for their assistance, until a positive rating is given.

If you have any other, related questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to follow up with you at no additional charge, even after you have rated.

Warmest wishes,

Cher