Etiquette

Etiquette questions? Ask an etiquette Expert for answers ASAP

We have a small office. My husband is a dr. I am office

We have a small...

We have a small office. My husband is a dr. I am office manager and we have 3 employees. I decorated with banners and balloons to celebrate one lady' s birthday. We had food brought in. ( her choice of food). I invited each of the two to the table and said " time for lunch! Fix a plate and sit down! One said she had not clocked out and walked away. The birthday lady just walked away. Neither came back. I was hurt and shocked. I packed up all the food took down the decorations and balloons and went back to work. I did not mention birthday or anything. I was just polite but all business.

Expert's Assistant: The Etiquette Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Etiquette Expert should know?

What happened?

6/20/2017
Rev Dr August Abbott
Rev Dr August Abbott, Adult Etiquette Pro

I am August Abbott, formally trained x12 yrs private school:international protocols, etiquette. Please allow a few mins. to compose your response.

What happened is that your employees blatantly displayed their lack of graciousness and appreciation. No matter what their reasons were, being rude in the face of a kind and generous gesture such as yours has no excuse.

Given that the b'day lady even selected her own food preference makes it worse.

I can sympathize with how you must feel and looking for reasons for such impropriety is futile. No matter what they say - it won't change a thing.

Being human though, I understand that you really need to know 'what went wrong'. So feel free to call a brief meeting with all of them together and calmly re count that you went to a fair amount of trouble to make a nice b'day celebration for the office. Then, one by one each of them walked away from it without so much as a polite show of interest and not even graciously sitting down for a small plate of food.

It's always better to address even the most uncomfortable of situations right away rather than let it seethe and grow over time.

I'm very sorry that you had to experience this.

Rev Dr August Abbott