Etiquette

Etiquette questions? Ask an etiquette Expert for answers ASAP

I am the mother of the bride. My future son-in-law's parents…

Customer Question
I am the mother of...
I am the mother of the bride. My future son-in-law's parents are divorced. He has since remarried(14)years. The natural mom hates the new wife. My daughter ism preparing wedding invitations. The natural mom is insisting that the step mom"s name be nowhere on the invitation. She also wanted to sit in the first pew with her ex, while the stepmom sit in the second pew. My daughter and her future husband would like to be all inclusive and put all names on the invitation. The natural mom is insisting on getting her own way or "else". My daughter's future brother-in-law is harassing her fiancee, calling him all names and saying he is disrespecting his Mom. They are in a confused!!. Please advise
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Etiquette
5/18/2017
Etiquette Expert: TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC replied 1 year ago
TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC

So sorry to hear of all this strife placed on your daughter and future son in law. It is their day and doing what they believe is right for them seems right. Now, if they are to honor what they desire and include all and have the step mom with with her husband and the mother threatens, they must feel okay about what that could potentially mean...she could boycott the wedding and so might the other siblings so they must be prepared for that to happen. If on the other hand, they want to honor their mom's demands, then they must go and speak with his Dad and step mom and let them know of their decision. It is not an easy space for any of you and I truly believe that it is their day and they should do as they desire, yet be prepared for some fallout. Either way, someone's feelings will be injured and that is why I believe them doing what they want is the way to go.

I await your thoughts.

Can I support you further?