Michael
Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
70951075

Which is proper to put on a grave marker: the full birth &

Customer Question

Which is proper to put on a grave marker: the full birth & death dates or only the years?
JA: The Etiquette Expert will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Etiquette Expert can help you best.
Customer: The company who sells bronze plaque grave marker will put either full dates of birth and death or only the years of each. Which is more proper to put on a grave marker?
JA: Is there anything else the Etiquette Expert should be aware of?
Customer: I can not think of any thing else...just what is the more proper form to write the dates? My mother was born in 1918 and passed away in 2016
Category: Etiquette
Expert:  Michael replied 4 months ago.

Good evening and welcome to Just Answer,

First, let me offer my condolences to you on the loss of your mother.

As for what is considered proper in terms of what should be placed on the grave marker, either is fine although most grave markers you will see today have both the full dates of birth and death instead of just the years. Older grave markers will have just the years but overtime the change to including the birth day as well as the day your mom passed away seems to be the way grave markers are listed today.

I hope that this information was found useful as please inform me of any additional questions/concerns you have. Also if you could take a second to rate my assistance so that I know my help was found useful today.

Take care,

Michael