TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker
64783947

I am trying to teach my fourteen year old nephew manners.

Customer Question

I am trying to teach my fourteen year old nephew manners. Can you explain why it is rude to eat off your fork then use that fork to get food from a serving bowl?
Category: Etiquette
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like you are trying to do a wonderful thing for him....the problem is it sounds like he hasn't been taught these good manners and attempting this at age 14 makes it even harder. You have explained that sharing a fork with others is sharing your germs with others and most people do not like it. It has fallen on deaf ears as you have tired to teach him what is right. Continue to do so and when he is in your presence show him again the serving utensils and let him know that if he cannot abide by your wishes then you will serve the food and put it on his plate. 14 year olds do what they want unfortunately, but even if you feel like he isn't listening it IS seeping in slowly. Not easy but keeping being that steady force for him and don't give up.