Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369

I have been invited to a reception in the U.S. couple

Customer Question

I have been invited to a reception in the U.S. for a couple married in London England two months ago. I was not invited to the wedding. Do I take a gift to the U.S. Reception?
Category: Etiquette
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome!
I do think it would be appropriate to give a gift to the newly married couple, at the U.S. reception. If either the bride or groom (or both) are from the U.S., they're most likely holding the reception in the U.S. now, so those friends/relatives who could not attend the wedding in London, can share in their joy. I realize you were not invited to the wedding, but yes, I would bring a gift to the reception.
I hope this helped!
Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you.
Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time to keep in touch with me.
Warmest regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You told me what you would do but did not answer what the CORRECT etiquette is in this situation.
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply.
Here is a site by Emily Post from 'The Etiquette Daily,' with instructions regarding the correct etiquette in this type of situation:
http://www.etiquettedaily.com/2014/01/incomplete-invitation-do-you-bring-a-gift-when-only-invited-to-the-reception/#sthash.p1ZqJ8gV.dpbs
From the site:
"Q: What are the etiquette rules for buying a wedding gift when invited to a reception only? Is it only proper to get a gift, as when invited to the ceremony? Are the rules the same whether you plan to attend the reception or not?
A: When you are invited to any component of a wedding, you give a gift, according to your budget and your relationship to the bride and groom or their families. You give a gift whether you attend or not."
-------------
I hope this clarifies the issue for you and you found my answers helpful.
Warmest wishes,
Cher