Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My dad passed away about 3 yrs ago in a nursing home under…

Customer Question
My dad passed away...

My dad passed away about 3 yrs ago in a nursing home under Medicaid.Mom is the survivor now at 93.Can the state put a lien on the house for when my father was in the nursing home and if so how would we know this.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Jersey.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have nothing from nursing home or state

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Estate Law
5/31/2018
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 23 days ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

How will the estate know money is owed?
Those involved in handling the estate must contact DMAHS in writing as soon as
possible after the death of the Medicaid beneficiary or former Medicaid beneficiary. It is
their responsibility to notify DMAHS to find out if DMAHS has a claim against the estate
before any funds from the estate are spent (exception: reasonable funeral expenses may
be paid). Distributions to any creditors or heirs cannot be made until the estate
reimburses DMAHS if there is a Medicaid claim. Whoever is handling the estate should
write to:
DMAHS
Office of Legal and Regulatory Affairs
Attn: Estates
PO Box 712 - Mail Code #6
Trenton, NJ 08625
If you have any questions regarding estate recovery or need more information
about estate recovery, please call(###) ###-####

Call here to find out if they have a lien on the house.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nj+mediciad+estate+recovery&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Thanks for rating 5 stars much appreciated.