Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My adult grandchildren are living in their parents house…

Customer Question
My adult grandchildren are...

My adult grandchildren are living in their parents house (both parents have died) . I have been trying to help them with the estate but now it is time for them to take over and possibly sell the house. Can you recommend the steps that they need to take to get going with this? Do they need to go through probate. It will be a small estate. Tthanks for your advice. Georgie Waulk

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

The house is still in their parents name.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't even know what questions to ask.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Estate Law
5/30/2018
Estate Lawyer: Lori, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. Let me see if I can assist. Give me a moment to review and type my reply.

If the property is still titled in their parents name and none of the grandchildren are on the title, then the property will need to go through probate. A probate action will need to be filed by the last parent to pass. They will need a certified copy of he death certificates for both parents and any wills for the parents. These will be filed with the court along with the petition for administration.

Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please remember to accept my response and post a positive rating.

I took my granddaughter down to the court house and we were told that we have to go back to court and stand in line. We have both death certificates but need to know where to go from here.

You need to file in the county where the property is located. What county is that?