Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

If I inherit property when my mother dies does it become…

Customer Question
If I inherit property...

If I inherit property when my mother dies does it become community property since I am married?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Living Trust

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Estate Law
5/30/2018
Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

The answer to your question is no. Property that is obtained through a gift or inheritance during a marriage is the separate property of the receiving spouse. This property is not divisible upon divorce.

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Can I do a Living Trust without my husband? I can't get him to do so. Its has been more than three years and he still has not done so.

Yes. You can o it without him. You don't need him to be a part of it.