Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Are assets in a trust exempt from a probate that was opened.

Customer Question
My mom died and my...
Are assets in a trust exempt from a probate that was opened. My mom died and my dad is alive and my sister forced open a probate to thwart him from getting some assets. It’s in Wisconsin so after he died, I as trustee deeded the property into to trust. It was listed as being in the trust in a schedule A. So the laws are different in Wisconsin. It’s marital property, but depends on how a property was titled by spouse, and I am not sure about assets that were listed in the trust if they can bypass probate.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Estate Law
5/30/2018
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply as I am an actual practicing attorney, not an employee of JustAnswer.

.

Assets in a trust don't go into the probate estate. But they have to be placed into the trust before the grantor dies..

.

So if you put the property into the trust after father died, that is improper as it has to be deeded over while he was living to be valid.

.

Listing it on Schedule A doesn't transfer real estate... a deed does.. So someone gave you/him some bad information if they told you just listing it on the A would do it... that only works with personal property with no title/ownership records.

.

So if the property was in mother's and father's personal name when mom passed and still when dad passed, then it goes into the probate estate and has to go through probate court.

.

Bot***** *****ne is that only correctly transferred assets in the trust bypass probate.

.

.

thanks

Wisconsin has different statutes on this. Can you give me the statues on this please. For Wisconsin to support your answer. Each state isn’t different. So are u a Wisconsin lawyer ?
By the way, assets that are survivorship marital do not go through probate in Wisconsin, so it depends on how they were held in title between spouses. Which is why I am asking about the trust. I am the trustee. And I heard in wisc you can add assets to the trust by deed. But the asset I am asking about was in their trust and I need confirmation with a statute for Wisconsin.

I will opt out and open the question to other experts to assist..

.

.

thanks