Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Lawyers for an estate. I have a question. Old neighbors of…

Customer Question
Lawyers for an estate. I...
Lawyers for an estate. I have a question. Old neighbors of mine have passed away. The woman passed first and the father, I'm told, passed recently. The Father had one son who was abused and left the home when he graduated high school never to return. The other was the woman's son and not blood to the Father.IF both have died wouldn't the one son of the Father be the only heir to the estate and if he had died (which he has) wouldn't his wife be the legal one to inherit it? Now say his wife is also passed would her children have any claim to the estate? Just wondering.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Estate Law
5/29/2018
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply as I am an actual practicing attorney, not an employee of JustAnswer.

.

If they owned everything jointly, then when the wife passed, husband would then inherit everything. Then when he passed, his children would then inherit his entire estate. If he only had the one son, son would inherit. If son was deceased, and he had any children, then they would inherit. If he had no children, then his estate would inherit from his father, and his estate would descend to his heirs, likely the wife.

.

But if the son and his wife had passed, and son had no children, then the father's estate would then go out to further relations like any sibling, then nieces and nephews.

.

So no, the children of the wife of the son would not stand to inherit unless the wife was still living when the father passed and his son had passed and had no children of his own.

.

This is all assuming that none of the parties had wills as those would control who inherited if anyone had them.

.

.

thanks