Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I am the living hier in my family. My aunt on my mothers…

Customer Question
I am the living hier...
I am the living hier in my family . My aunt on my mothers side is getting ready to die . Should I have her sign a affidavit that I am the last living Heir on my dads side.
Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Estate Law
5/27/2018
Estate Lawyer: Nate, Attorney replied 24 days ago
Nate, Attorney

Thank you for your question.

If it were concerning that you were the last living heir on her side, it might be helpful in speeding up probate. The laws of intestate succession (rules when there is no will) would control the situation and if you're all that is left on her side, then you would be entitled to her assets.

However, the law would give no credibility to her commenting on the other side of your family. So, it really wouldn't matter either way if you got her to sign an affidavit regarding your dad's side.