Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I got sued by my ex employee. I want to just protect my

Customer Question
home. it was already paid...
I got sued by my ex employee. I want to just protect my home. it was already paid off before marriage but California has such a low Homestead Exemption for married couples. I know it is too late to form an irrevocable trust but If i form a joint tenancy with my wife, can my principal place of residence at least be protected if the judgement goes against me? My wife's name is ***** ***** the title.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Estate Law
5/2/2018
Estate Lawyer: LegalGems, Attorney replied 2 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney
I am sorry to hear this.
Unfortunately California is a community property state so the assets of both spouse's are generally liable for judgmen's that are a result of misconduct during the marriage.
Additionally if the court determines that a party changed title to avoid a judgment creditor the court can void that deed and allow the creditor access to that property.There may be protection from personal assets if the company was properly incorporated.
Ok, so my home is worth 600,000 and I got approved for a home equity line of credit for 300,000.This current home is on my Mom and mine's name. (my dad lives in this house also).What if i use the HELOC to purchase another home and make that a principal residence on my and my wife's name? Can my elderly parents claim homestead on this house? and I can claim the homestead on the second home that we (my wife and I) purchase?
a help can be used to purchase a second home.The homestead exemption is available for an owner's principal residence. Please seehttp://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=704.730.&lawCode=CCP