Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I am a children's court appointed advocate on a protective…

Hi! I am a...

Hi! I am a children's court appointed advocate on a protective service's case. The County Agency is not moving forward to advance the mom's visitation schedule to permit here to regain custody of her two young children. Mom is completely following the case plan after having the first child removed due to her drug addiction. Mom has been clean since August and since had a another baby that the agency took away due to the first child being under protective services. How can i obtain help for this young woman? Her court appointed attorney will not even answer her calls.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Since I was the CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate) up until I resigned last week, I had been recommending reunification and the Magistrate has been accepting my recommendations, but the CASA organization has squelched my ability to support this woman, so I left the program. Nothing outside the case hearings has been filed in any court since this woman has no funds for legal counsel. Legal Aid will not take children's services cases

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, the Agency is completely biased towards her brother who has the temporary custody despite the fact that he has a criminal record and years worth of arrests, DUI's, etc.

4/16/2018
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you. The frustration with child protective services is a nationwide issue. I have worked with them in numerous jurisdictions and I am always concerned when there is no attorney involved to navigate the corrupt and dysfunctional waters.

Reporting this to the Attorney General is not always helpful as they stand behind their agencies. There are constitutional issues as play which can lead to Pro Bono assistance. Where in Ohio is this occurring?

Union County

I can totally understand your frustration. One moment please.

Ok

I would contact the AG and, hopefully, they will look into the matter as they AG has the legal authority to do so http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/

One moment please for Pro Bono resources in Union County and through the State Bar Association.

Thank you!
Why the AG's office at this point? What are the constitutional issues you are referring to? She has a court appointed defender who ignores her case until he has to show up for a hearing.

That would be my constitutional issue that the court appointed defender is ignoring her case. You can also have her report this to the State Bar as they can offer her other available resources. This is also an issue with the courts in that area as they are appointing Attorneys that are no helpful.

http://www.legalhandle.com/pro-bono-attorneys-Ohio.html

I will provide the State Bar Association site as well.

She can also request an new Attorney based on the fact that her attorney is useless.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars?

Thank you for your consideration.

Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
Thank you so much!! Just the work you did today is more than either she or I have received from her attorney over the past 5 months! Happy to write the review. Many thanks!Karen

I wish I could take the case for you. The terms of service of the site prohibit us from entering into Attorney/Client relationships with customers of the site. That being said, this is one of the injustices that I find completely unacceptable. There are no end of issues for parents with child protective services and almost zero assistance. I find that they focus on certain cases while letting other children fall through the cracks. I would not hesitate to contact the news. The media attention forced Arizona to change their system completely and Illinois has been under tremendous scrutiny and I could go on and on.

Thank you!! I agree with you completely, and I hope I can find someone who will take this case for a reduced fee. I am looking! This is why I resigned from the CASA role because they would not allow me to advocate for the mom too and they would not allow me to go against the Agency in how they are handling advancing visitation. Can you direct me to Ohio's laws, re: rights of parents whose children are under Protective Services? I have searched myself and cannot seem to find it. I also am trying to find Ohio Children's Services policies on visitation advancement. Finally, I have been thinking about writing the Magistrate about what is going on with the county's CPS team but am not sure if she is even allowed to read it since she is on the case. What do you think?

I can provide an overview for you. The Bar Association can also provide this to you.

http://www.ocwtp.net/PDFs/Protecting%20Parents'%20Constitutional%20Rights%20During%20Child%20Abuse%20and%20Neglect%20Investigations%20and%20Assessments.pdf

Thank you! However, the link is broken. Could you have made a type error?

I copied an pasted the link.

This is the heading: PROTECTING PARENTS’ CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS DURING CHILD ABUSE AND NEGLECT INVESTIGATIONS AND ASSESSMENTS

Where did you find the link? It still is broken

Ignore the bro***** *****nk. If you try the heading in a google search it may pull up what I am seeing.

Thank you! You have been a terrific resource.

I am happy that I could help.