Lori
Lori, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 25 years experience
101026752

My father passed away 9 years ago. His property went to his

My father passed away 9 years ago. His property went to his wife and rightfully so but I am concerned when she passes it will go to her daughter on property my father worked so hard for. She is my stepmother and I love her but I want the property to stay in the family. Would I have any rights to the property?
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Florida
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I’m not sure, I would have to ask my sister in law she would know. She did the paperwork after his death.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Hello. I am a FL attorney with over 25 years experience. Give me a moment to review and type my reply.
How did you stepmom acquire the property from your father? Was she also on the deed? If so, the property passed to her outside of probate and is in her name only. Be sure to check the current status of title to see if the property is owned by her only or if she added anyone to the deed. If she is the only one on the deed, the property will need to be probated after her death to transfer the property to her heirs (with or without a will).
Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please remember to accept my response and post a positive 5-star rating.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I believe the deed is in her name only now. So probate to her heirs and I wouldn’t be considered an heir since I’m the stepdaughter
It would be probated according to her will, if she has one, and to you if you are provided in the will.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay thank you
You are welcome.
Please remember to accept my response and post a positive rating so I get credit.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Absolutely