Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

How do we pay for a funeral without funds from the deceased?

Customer Question
How do I regain access...
How do we pay for a funeral without funds from the deceased? How do I regain access to her checking account(I am the POA-she has minimal $1700 remaining) Does Medicaid claim this automatically?
Submitted: 18 days ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2018
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 18 days ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Here is the Application to claim the funds.You would have priority over medicaid here for funeral expenses.

https://eforms.com/small-estate/ohio-small-estate-affidavit/

The Ohio small estate affidavit, or the ‘Application to Relieve Estate from Administration’, is used to ask the probate court to be relieved of the formal probate process in Ohio. There are certain requirements that must be met before this form of estate administration can be used. The main qualification is that the assets of the person who died do not exceed $100,000 if the applicant is the spouse and $35,000 for other successors in interest. In addition to filling out the application to relieve estate from administrations, the applicant will need to attach a form with the assets and liabilities of decedent as well as a form with the names and addresses of heirs.

Maximum – $100,000 for spouses, $35,000 for non-spouses

LawsR.C. 2113.03

I appreciate the chance to help you , so sorry for your loss of loved one.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney