Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I am the trustee of my mom and dad's estate. The last one…

Customer Question
I am the trustee...

I am the trustee of my mom and dad's estate. The last one died just over 7 years ago. The trust has been settled but I was working with a trust that was not officially signed by my parents. Now one of the beneficiaries want's a copy to ensure she got her full share. what should i do

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sorry, ca

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

The original trust, signed but amendment 1 and 3 are not signed and 2 was always missing.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My sister and i are estranged and she has been diagnosed as bi polar. I was just trying to get her to sign over a quit claim deed that i bought from her 7 years ago. she contacted a lawyer in montana for advice and he wants to see copies of the trust, that probably isn't in effect because of the signiture problem. i have records of equal distributions over the cloaing of the trust

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Estate Law
4/2/2018
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

This is kind of a difficult situation because if the trust wasn't signed, it isn't legally valid so all those assets should have gone into the estate to be distributed according to any will or default state law if there was no will.. But any beneficiary of a trust has a right to a copy of the trust once the grantor dies..

.

So at this point, if the trust says you split everything... and you did... then if they didn't have a will and you and sister are the only 2 children, you would split everything anyway... so there really isn't any difference in outcome..

.

You can refuse to give her a copy, but that will just get her more agitated because her attorney will convince her you are hiding something and then probably file suit to force you to deliver a copy.

.

.

thanks

It's been seven years since my mothers death. I have both wills, my dad's is unsigned, my mom's is signed. How long do I need to keep copies of the trust before they can be shredded? california

Well, there is no specific amount of time if an estate was opened and then properly closed... and if the trust was property administered and closed..

.

But it sounds like you have a mix of things that were valid and others that weren't...

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much