Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I just found a "Security Instrument" with Fidelity National…

Customer Question
Hello :) I...

Hello :) I just found a "Security Instrument" with Fidelity National Title Insurance dated June 24, 2011. My father signed and initialed in all the appropriate places, along with the two other people participating in this loan. Trouble is, my dad passed away in 1998. Should I call a lawyer? The loan's for $310K against a resort rental in Wildwood, NJ.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a NJ lawyer about this?

No i literally just found the document.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None other than chat with you at the first free legal advice site i could find!

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Ok, yes no, actually - this is enough for now lol ty!

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Estate Law
4/2/2018
Estate Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 24 days ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But I do not understand your specific question. What do you mean should I call a lawyer...what are you trying to accomplish?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Hi Philip. Pleased to meet you.At first I thought my deceased dad's credentials were being used on a current loan document. I've since realized that there are a lot of Arthur Rosenbaums in the world. However, the document came to me through research I've been doing on my grandfather, who was a multimillionaire. He and my dad fought and disowned each other before i was born, which i have no angst about. I was just stunned to see Dad's name and purported signature - it's not his handwriting.

Thank you...so what is it you are trying to understand or accomplish?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
the reason I asked whether i should call a lawyer was based on the current/but deceased nature of what i found.No thanks to phone call.. 59 bucks is not chicken feed to me :)
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
any suggestions other than the obvious - determine whether this is my art rosenbaum or not..
?

If your dad passed in 98, I am presuming that there was a probate, is that correct?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
no, no probate. he died with 167 dollars in his checking account.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I just want to make sure no one's using his name, that's all.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Because he was the son of a very wealthy guy

THanks

Honestly, if your father was deceased when this happened (and that seems clear) then neither he nor his estate can be held liable. That is, it may well be that there is someone trying to impersonate him...but since he is deceased, and was deceased at the time, there is no way for any creditor to try and attach or take money from his estate, or from you or your family.

You can certainly continue to research...and if you believe this is some sort of fraud, you can contact law enforcement.

But what you are describing, i do not see the utility of hiring an attorney.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Attorney