Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My brother and I are trying get the house sold that my

Customer Question
“ ******* ****” My brother...

“ ******* ****” My brother and I are trying get the house sold that my Mother left us in her will. The house is the only thing of real value. However, there is a credit card debt. He indicated that once the house is sold the Credit company can’t do anything to recover that debt. I asked him if the lawyer he saw told him that or what. He said yes. I’m very concerned about the unpaid debt. They ( the lawyer) stated this didn’t need to go through probate. What is the correct way to handle the unsecured debt?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 day by:
4/3/2018
Estate Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 3 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
I put it just to Richard. But I would like an answer now if possible. It can go to anyone.
Estate Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 3 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Could you explain a little more?

In what state is the property located?

What is the fair market value of the property?

When did your mother pass away?

Thank you for your cooperation.