Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My husband recently passed away. Am I responsible for debts…

Customer Question
My husband recently passed...

My husband recently passed away. Am I responsible for debts in his name only?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Bills, if that's what you mean.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We also have an estate planner

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Estate Law
4/2/2018
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 3 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

No only his estate and the assets are liable to the creditors.As part of probate you would publish notice and see who files claims.His executor would pay claims again assuming there are assets.

You are not personally liable.If he was insolvent then they would have to write the debts off and he died insolvent here under Oklahoma law.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.I am so sorry for your loss of spouse.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Ok. Thank you

You are so welcome.Thanks again for 5 stars at top of page.