Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My Aunt (Mother's sister), passed away in 1991. My mother…

Customer Question
Hello, My Aunt (Mother's...

Hello, My Aunt (Mother's sister), passed away in 1991. My mother passed away a few months before her. About 2 years ago my Father and I found out that my Aunt had unclaimed monies. Right about that time we were also contacted by an Agency (who after I researched had a good reputation). Neither my Father, myself or either of my 2 siblings had any knowledge of a will for my Aunt. After about 2 years and multiple times of communications, the agency told us that they couldn't help us and sent a copy of my Aunt's will, which they found. My sister, brother and myself are named as "surviving heirs at law" and next of kin, but my Aunt's will didn't name us as receiving an inheritance. The will does list a few friends and an executor. I sent a letter to the Lawyer and Executor, but the letters came back unclaimed. I also sent all the information (Mom's death certificate, etc) to the Government, but they have sent a letter back that we need to have a Short Certificate showing letters of administration or testamentary granted and updated within the last 2 years. This isn't possible, obviously. Where or who can we turn to next?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

My Aunt lived in New Jersey, Mercer County. We also lived in New Jersey at the time, but have since moved to Pennsylvania.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Dad's getting the file now.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My Mom's death certificate and Probate certificate, a copy of my Aunt's Will, and Final State Escheatment Notice from My Aunt's insurance company,

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Estate Law
3/29/2018
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 3 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

So did the will list your mother as an heir here,thanks

No, it just lists us 3 children and in parentheses Children of deceased sister, Janet R. Schonheiter

Any chance you could post the will.You can probate if necessary a copy of the will.You may also want to see if it was ever probated here.

Mercer County Surrogate's Office  

City government office in Trenton, New Jersey

Address: 175 S Broad St, Trenton, NJ 08608

Hours:

Closed ⋅ Opens 8:30AM Fri

Phone: (609)(###) ###-####/a>

You could scan it and attach there is a paperclip that allows you to do so.

Ok, it will take me a few

No problem I will send you an offer to review it and you can ask as many questions as you have.Just accept and ask away.

No thanks. I can't afford more money. Should I still scan or do you need more money to review it? If I need more money then I will have to approach the rest of the family to help.

I will opt out here and leave for other experts.Sorry it is time intensive.

Ok thanks anyway
Estate Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

I am a different Attorney. Did you still need assistance with your question?