Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My aunt died in January 2017 and probate was settled in

Customer Question
My aunt died in...

My aunt died in January 2017 and probate was settled in October 2017 and we received our inheritance shortly thereafter. There were 4 main inheritors and 20 to 25 minor grants to persons and organizations in the USA, Russia and Australia. This past weekend I was informed that some estate taxes had apparently not been paid and that we were being requested to return some of the funds and that an accountant would be sending us some forms. My question I(1) I,s is this a normal event? (2) What should the lawyer be giving us to explain exactly what the problem is and to ensure a fair funding of the tax? (3) Could action be taken against the executor and probate attorney for lack nof due diligence?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have a long letter from the attorney laying out the distributions.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. That is all I can think of.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/29/2018
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 3 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

So here exactly where are the taxes due, federal, state, or overseas?

Can you end me the letter as attachment?

At this point I really don't know as everything has been done by phone call and no details were given. I'm afraid I have no way to send the letter as an attachment.
I was just looking for a general answer so I can end this .

Well this sounds to me like lawyer malpractice and executor error.Legally you don't have any obligation to pay this.They should have paid this prior to distribution.Likely executor is on the hook and possibly lawyer who screwed up.You decide if you want to voluntarily contribute or ignore the request here.Legally it is really not your problem once you got your funds it is their problem.They are passing the hat as they say hoping you will contribute but legally its their problem not yours.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.