Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My mother passed away and left inheritance to children. Can…

My mother passed away...

My mother passed away and left inheritance to children. Can I open a second checking account in my name to administer my sister’s funds? I would provide her with a debit card

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Washington. Estate is in Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I live in Vancouver wa sister is inOregon. she has multiple medical problems. She is using funds for home repairs.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just ask and I can provide whatever she needs

3/28/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

If you are the executor you should open and estate account here and get an EIN number.The EIN number is ***** instead of the deceased persons social security number and it is used in all tax returns, closing documents, bank accounts, etc while estate is open.

EIN number here

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/apply-for-an-employer-identification-number-ein-online

An estate account here is a good idea to hold estate funds.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

I am not the executor. He believes he has done everything he needs to do and has walked away from further involvement or logistical assistance. It has been a mess. I do not know the name of the attorney, but I do not believe my parents used an attorney well versed in estate laws and inheritance distribution, because so far he has not complied with my parent’s wishes, as they related to me.

You can open the account here, you could also move to remove executor if you have too in probate court.

My debit card is new and activated this am. My bank just called to verify my attempts to authorize payments to you. I confirmed and would like to continue communicating by phone(###) ###-####

You can ask anything you have here, no additional charge.I just ask you to rate 5 stars when done.Please ask away.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
Rating 5 stars