Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I donated a piece of land to a land trust. since I did not…

I donated a piece...

I donated a piece of land to a land trust. since I did not establish the trust, am I able to revoke my land from it?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

The land is in WV

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Deeds were transferred

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of at this time

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

okay

Just to confirm, you conveyed the property in question by signing a deed and delivering the deed to the trustee? The deed has been recorded, correct?

Did the deed, or the trust, contain any reversion clauses in your favor?

signed deed, and delivered deed to the trustee. Yes, the deed has been recorded. I'll have to look to see if there is a reversion clause.
there is a reversion clause that says it can revert back to the grantor if provisions of the deed are not followed.

Thank you for the additional information.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.

If the reversion can be invoked then make a demand on the trustee.

Without a reversionary condition existing, you would need the cooperation of the trustee to reclaim the property. In other words, you would need a deed to you from the trust, which is now the legal owner of the property.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

I am happy to continue if you have further questions.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

if the trustee would simply AGREE to give me the deed back, it's okay? legal?

Certainly.

Thank you.

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Attorney