Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

This question is in regard to a Irrevocable Living Trust.

This question is in...

This question is in regard to a Irrevocable Living Trust. Can a Grantor set up an ILT such that during the lifetime of the Trustee(s) the Trustee(s) receive 60% of the interest earned by the Trust and the other beneficiaries earn the remaining 40%? Once the Trustee(s) pass away then the principal would be split between the other beneficiaries.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

AZ

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

None yet. The answer would help determine the course to take.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it.

3/27/2018
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good afternoon. Yes, the trust can be set up that way, but you are confusing the terminology. A living trust is by definition revocable until the grantor dies and then becomes irrevocable. If the trust is going to be irrevocable from the start, it's really not a living trust; rather, it's simply an irrevocable trust. But, in either case, the trust provisions can contain the provisions that you referenced.

Thank you for both the answer and the clarification.

You're very welcome. It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Attorney

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time!