Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

What does a revocable living trust do for you and the cost?

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/27/2018
Roy Hadavi

­­Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney with extensive estate planning experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney‑client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: In California, a trust serves a very significant purpose for the beneficiaries of your estate (the individuals that will receive the assets from your estate). There are two mains benefits.

1. Avoiding Probate: California requires that all property (except for some minor exceptions) owned by an individual at the time of their death go through the probate courts. ​With a properly drafted and funded trust, the estate does not need to be probated, because when you die you technically own nothing. Instead, the trust (which during your life you will have 100% control over) owns all of your property. There are two main reasons that probate should be avoided.
    • Length of Probate: The probate process can take anywhere from 9 to 12 months, if it goes perfectly smoothly, and far longer (several years) if there are issues (which there often are).
    • Attorneys' Fees: The attorneys' fees for probate are set by statute and are based on the value of the estate. The cheapest estate to probate with $100,000 in assets, would cost $4,000 in attorneys' fees to probate. Only a very inexperienced attorney would be willing to take on such a cheap probate, because the amount of work involved outweighs the amount that the attorney will receive. The lowest value estate that an experience attorney would be willing to take is $1,000,000. In addition, a very good attorney will draft an entire estate plan (trust, will, power of attorney for both financial and health matters) for about the same price as the cheapest probate would cost ($4,000).
  2. The other benefit to the beneficiaries is that the assets that they receive through the trust are protected from creditors. This means that if a beneficiary is sued or has debt, the creditors would not be able to pursue a claim against any of the assets that the beneficiary receives from the trust, while they are in the trust. For example, if a beneficiary receives a house through the trust, the beneficiary could have thousands and even millions of dollars in debt, but the house would be protected from that debt.

Rating & Additional Questions:

• Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions. Please ask me as many questions as you need. There is no additional fee.
  • If you ask a follow‑up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.
  • If you are dissatisfied with my response, please let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can AOpt [email protected] and your question can be re‑posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.
  • If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today.
  • A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.
Roy Hadavi
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you for the information.

Thank you so much for the 5‑star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert‑royhadavi/ Or, simply request ARoy [email protected] in the first line of your question.

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi