Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Can the terms of a will be changed. I live in fl, but the…

Customer Question
Can the terms of...

Can the terms of a will be changed

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

I live in fl, but the will was probated in nj

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

The will stated that the assests were to be shared equally

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Estate Law
3/27/2018
Estate Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 3 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Are you trying to change the terms of someone else's will? What would you like to change?

no this is my mothers will and my brother is the executor. he said he will not give me any money from the estate

I'm sorry for your loss.

He doesn't have any authority to decide not to distribute assets in accordance with the will. You can sue him for breach of his fiduciary obligation as executor.

If he as a problem with the terms, then he would need to file a lawsuit to contest the will. That would conflict with his obligations as executor, in which case, he should step down.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Do you have any questions about this?