Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I live in and own a mobile home in a mobile home lot. I have…

Customer Question
I live in and...

I live in and own a mobile home in a mobile home lot. I have 3 sons. Two of them are retired and own their homes. The third son. which is younger and has been on disability for several years is living in a mobile home in a different park. His home is several years older and almost falling apart.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

My question is...Can I put his name on my house with mine so that when I die my house cannot be sold for any debts I have and he can assume ownership. I worry that he will be left with no home.l

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the mobile home located?

In central Indiana.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that the other two sons I believe will be understanding with his name on my home.

Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: Estate Law
3/27/2018
Estate Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 30 days ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney.

Did you want to put his name on the home along with your name?

Thanks for the additional information. You can put his name on the home along with your name. As long as you do not pass away in the next two years, a debtor can only put a lien on the house up to the value of 1/2 the house. In other words, if you put the son's name on the home with rights of survivorship, when you die, he will get the home. Your debtors can put a lien on the home for the 1/2 that you owned but not the whole home. If you die within the next years then your son would still get the home but debtors can put a lien on the whole home.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Estate Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 25 days ago

Hello again:

I am checking in with you to see if you need further help. If you need more, just let me know.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney