Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I was wondering if my grandmother left me anything her name…

Customer Question
I was wondering if...

I was wondering if my grandmother left me anything her name was Nancy ********** she died in her nintys

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Nothing except she still gets mail here every time I bring it up to my family they want to thorw me in the crazy house

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes I do have a diamond ring that my granny left me it's in a safety deposit at the bank and my mother won't give it to me

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Should I just stay on this page

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Estate Law
3/27/2018
Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

There is no way to know if she left a will unless you find the original will in grandma's papers because these wills do not generally get recorded. The only other thing you need to do is go to the clerk of court in the county where she resided at the time of her death and ask the clerk to check the probate records under Granny's name to see if probate was ever filed.

If probate was never filed, then YOU as a possible heir can use a local probate attorney to file probate and then the court will make the other heirs disclose all of the property your granny left and the court will decide who gets what.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.