Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I live in Florida. my mom and I owned a house together. She…

I live in Florida...

I live in Florida. my mom and I owned a house together. She passed. Do I have to sell to give my brother his 1/4 of the house. I can not afford to refinance and Don't want to move. As I have 10 dogs to take care of for my mom

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a FL lawyer about this?

She passed on January 28, 2018

3/27/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

You would have to resolve it with the brother.In probate you would have to sell it or pay him his share.He might agree to take a second note or otherwise settle with you.

But either you settle with him or he can open probate and force a sale of property.He has a 1/4 interest that must be accounted for and resolved in probate.

See if brother would agree to a second note and take it in payments here.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is always much appreciated.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
5. stars rated
Also I do not wish to continue this free trial offer.
Please don't bill me for anything else.

Thanks again no problem.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney