Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My dad passed away recently, and I was the only child, his…

My dad passed away...

My dad passed away recently, and I was the only child, his wife was my mother has also died. he didn't have a will. his sister my aunt has plans to give everything to my children what can I do. he lived in the state of Pennsylvania, I live in Vermont?

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have his funeral papers I set up and signed .I will also have his remains. I also have documents from his final care saying he doesn't have a will. and I have a birthcertificet he signed as my father.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes I now have a different last name. was adopted very young my mother remarried as he was sick with scizzafranea. sorry about my spelling.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

You need a PA lawyer here to make application for intestate probate.Intestate means no will.Here the laws of intestacy apply.

Who Gets What in Pennsylvania?

Under intestate succession, who gets what depends on whether or not you have living children, parents, or other close relatives when you die. Here’s a quick overview:

If you die with:here’s what happens:

• children but no spouse
  • children inherit everything
  • spouse but no descendants or parents
  • spouse inherits everything
  • spouse and descendants from you and that spouse
  • spouse inherits the first $30,000 of your intestate property, plus 1/2 of the balance
  • your descendants inherit everything else
  • spouse and descendants from you and someone other than that spouse
  • spouse inherits 1/2 of your intestate property
  • descendants inherit everything else
  • spouse and parents
  • parents inherit remaining intestate property
  • parents but no spouse or descendants
  • parents inherit everything
  • siblings but no spouse, descendants, or parents
  • siblings inherit everything

You can claim your share here by opening probate and protecting your rights.

Lawyer referral

The PBA LRS operates Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and can be reached by calling(###) ###-####(for in-Pa. callers only) or(###) ###-####

I am so sorry for your loss of parent.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.You do have rights under the laws of intestacy.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
how do I proceed, not sure exactly what to do?
Michael Bradley
Phone call session started
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney