Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My mother has three brothers and their parents died. There…

My mother has three...

My mother has three brothers and their parents died. There is a $200,000 house that was given to the four of them to split. Before my grandfather died one of the brothers was taken off the will for stealing $50,000 from my grandfather. So there was only two brothers and my mother on the will. One of those brothers that was still on the will died and wanted that brother that was taken off of the will to take his third of what was supposed to be given from the houses. I personally don't believe he can change a well that my grandfather had wanted a certain way. I just wanted to know if that was possible to reach Ange the will after my grandparents have died. I do not have a lot of money and don't know how much it would cost to ask a lawyer I'm a simple answer would do me good. Thank you for your help.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Connecticut

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I was wondering if it was possible if a will can be changed after my grandparents have died

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is there any cost?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

A will can only be changed by the person that executed the will; an heir cannot change that will;

however, the beneficiary under a will may, upon receipt of the property, transfer their interest by gift/sale, to any third party of their choosing unless the court determines that the will had conditions on this (restrictions).

Now if the parents predeceased the adult child that died, then generally the parents' will is to be probated, and the deceased adult child's share will then go into that deceased child's probate, and would ultimately go according to that deceased child's will (if no will via the laws of intestate succession).

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.

LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney
I was also wondering if I had any more questions I can ask you without being charged I believe I picked the package that I should have a few more follow-up questions? I only had one more
Since one of my mother's brother's was taken off of the lease for stealing from my grandfather. It is on record. I would imagine that would be a stipulation that would prevent him from ever getting back on the will even if one of the other brothers wanted to give his part to him if he died?

Would you mind posting that question in a new thread? Per the site rules I am permitted to address one question per page. You can request me if you like.

If you are a member new questions can be posted at no charge but you would need to contact customer service as to your account details as I don't have access to that information.

Thank you very much for your help

You are welcome! Thanks for understanding!