Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My wife's father passed away. He was a hard working man who…

Customer Question
Hello, My wife's father...

Hello, My wife's father passed away. He was a hard working man who accumulated a lot but married a lady with two other daughter's. Today preparing for the funeral they were asking question about death certificates an her step mother was concerned that my wife might have a part in his inheritance and her daughter chimed in said secondary family does not matter it was all hers, I guess my question is does my wife have anything in this being she is an only child? Sorry for typing this question like this.

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Kentucky

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Their was no will that we no of

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Estate Law
3/26/2018
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

If he had no will and your wife is his only biological or adopted daughter, then KY intestate law would control what happens to his estate.

.

Under KY law, his spouse and his children would divide the estate. So wife gets half and his daughter would get half of his estate.

.

.

thanks

Thanks, ***** ***** herd this from someone else but wanted to check. My wife was so upset she did not catch what they were saying. One more question , Today when they were making arrangements an talking this, one of the step daughter said the needed 2 death certificates for what they had did that day. Not being blood or adopted can the step daughter be moving his money or estate's around , I'm pretty sure I know the answer from your first but wanted to ask.

Not being blood or adopted can the step daughter be moving his money or estate's around , I'm pretty sure I know the answer from your first but wanted to ask.

.

Nope. She has no legal authority to do anything at all.. No one does until someone files a formal probate petition to be appointed as Administrator of the estate. Depending on what county this is in, that could take a week or a month as the larger counties have court more often..

Thanks that's all I needed.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much