Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Is it fraud if a beneficiary signs a check from the trust…

Second opinion] Is it...

Second opinion] Is it fraud if a beneficiary signs a check from the trust fund in the name of a grantor?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

It is not a state. It is the Virgin Islands of the United States.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have seen the check which was signed in the name of the grantor�s name. The grantor, her mother, was incapacitated and died the day after the check was signed. The beneficiary who is now the trustee admits that her mother agreed to pay her rent but the mother was was not speaking because she was terminally ill.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. The trust states that the trustee who is also a beneficiary is entitled to 1/6 of the trust asset.

3/26/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

Is it fraud if a beneficiary signs a check from the trust fund in the name of a grantor?J

Response: Yes. The beneficiary should be forced to return the money back to the trust, or the check should be deducted from her share of the trust.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law