Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Father died no will that i know of. He has another wife and…

Father died no will...

Father died no will that i know of . He has another wife and daughter . Do I have any right to his estate?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He was married to my Mother first. I am his legit son.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for your loss...can you tell me, what state was he a resident of? NV?

NEVADA

Thanks
NV law provides that if a person dies, with a spouse and issue (children) and they do not have a will, then the estate is divided between the spouse (1/2) and the issue (1/2)

You can see the law here

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-134.html

So he has 2 children (you and one other) you would be entitled to 1/4 (1/2 of 1/2) of the estate.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil

P. Simmons, Attorney
I am part of his first family. He and my Mother were divorced. He remarried wife one child.