Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I am divorced and when I die I want to pass my estate on to…

Customer Question
I am divorced and...

I am divorced and when I die I want to pass my estate on to my children, and any children they may have, and want to avoid the possibility of any money going to my children's spouses. Is that possible?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Utah

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I don't understand. Your question does not seem to relate to my inquiry

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

You can specify in your will that the bequest will go to your children and, if they do not survive you, to their children.

You can not really stop your children, though, from passing what they inherit to their spouse, either as an inter vivos gift or inheritance.

If you want more control than that you will need to set it up in a trust. That will allow you to bypass the spouses.

While an attorney is not required to prepare a trust or estate plan, it is strongly recommended you retain an attorney to assist you in putting this in place. If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys, themselves, use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

I am happy to continue if you have further questions.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.