Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

XXXXX. Mother Passed. I trusted younger brother with her…

XXXXX. Mother Passed. I...

XXXXX. Mother Passed. I trusted younger brother with her financial affairs. The math isnt adding up and there is much unaccounted $$. He now will not let us see her checking accounts for the last few years.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

We know what she started with. He gave us a list of her assets with missing items.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She was 95. Mild dementia. The will was changed 2 years ago from what the family agreed upon. Except for draft we all agreed to in 2006, the signed will has disappeared. Brother always had mom sign her own checks, although he had durable POA

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

XXXXX. Will is in probate. They want us to sign off

3/25/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

XXXXXX

You should consider your own lawyer here.The lawyer can demand a court ordered accounting and you can sue for lost funds.You have rights through probate court.But you are going to need your own lawyer if you want to contest all of this.

Lawyer Referral ServicesReturn to LSNJLAW

Atlantic County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

Atlantic County Court House

*****

Atlantic City, NJ 08401

(###) ###-####/p>

Web site: www.atcobar.org

Essex County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

354 Eisenhower Pkwy. Plaza II

Livingston, NJ 07039

(###) ###-#### Fax:(###) ###-####/p>

Web site: www.essexbar.com

Bergen County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

15Bergen Street

Hackensack, NJ

(###) ###-####/p>

Gloucester County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

Justice Complex, PO Box 338

Woodbury, NJ 08096

(###) ###-#### Fax(###) ###-####/p>

Burlington County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

*****/p>

Mount Holly, NJ 08060

(###) ###-#### Fax(###) ###-####/p>

Hudson County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

*****/p>

Jersey City, NJ 07306

(###) ###-#### Fax(###) ###-####/p>

E-mail: *****@******.***

Camden County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

1040 Kings Hwy. No., Suite 201

Cherry Hill, NJ 08034

(###) ###-#### Fax(###) ###-####/p>

Web site: www.camdencountybar.org

Hunterdon County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

PO Box 573

Annandale, NJ 08801

908-236-619; Fax(###) ###-####/p>

Web site: www.huntcolaw.org

Cape May County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

Rt. 9, Main Street, PO Box 425

Cape May Court House, NJ 08210

(###) ###-#### Fax(###) ###-####/p>

E-mail: *****@******.***

Mercer County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

1245 White Horse Mercerville Road, Suite 420

Hamilton, NJ ###-##-####/p>(###) ###-#### Fax(###) ###-####/p>

E-mail: *****@******.***

Cumberland County

Lawyer Referral Service

PO Box 2374

Vineland, NJ 08362

(###) ###-#### Fax(###) ###-####/p>

Middlesex County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

*****/p>

New Brunswick, NJ 08901

(###) ###-####/p>

Web site: www.mcbalaw.com

Monmouth County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

Courthouse

Freehold, NJ 07728

(###) ###-#### Fax(###) ###-####/p>

Morris/Sussex County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

28 Schuler Pl.

Morristown, NJ 07960

(###) ###-#### Fax(###) ###-####/p>

Ocean County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

Courthouse

PO Box 381

Toms River, NJ 08753

(###) ###-#### Fax(###) ###-####/p>

E-mail: *****@******.***

Union County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

Courthouse, 1st Floor

Elizabeth, NJ 07207

(###) ###-#### Fax(###) ###-####/p>

Mon-Thurs, 10: A.M. – 1 P.M.

Warren County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

*****

Belvidere, NJ 07823

(###) ###-####/p>

E-mail: *****@******.***

Somerset County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

20 N. Bridge Street, PO Box 1095

Courthouse, 5th Floor

Somerville, NJ 08876

E-mail: *****@******.***

Web site: www.somersetbar.com

Passaic County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

*****, Courthouse, 2nd Floor

Paterson, NJ 07505

Salem County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

(###) ###-####/p>

I am so sorry that you have been treated this way.I hope you will pursue this in court.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can we ask for accounting of all funds BEFORE she passed or only after her death?

You can ask for accounting prior to death here, same person was misspending all along.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok. Will do. Thank you. What question(s) should I be prepared to ask the lawyer. we know that deeming her incapacitated or challenging the will will be a hard sell in NJ.... but the mis-spending of the money is an avenue we can persue
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok. just to follow up. We have already asked for the accounting and he refuses to give it to us. So if the next step is court, Can we arbitrarily ask for the accounting or do we need to say we think there was misspending. And will it be a problem if we she always signed the checks, (although she had no clue what she was signing). Can we assert it wasn't a "gift" (just to him and not the other children) and that it was misspending? He had durable POA, but is claiming he never used it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we NEVER received a cent. So the only "gift" would have been to himself, his wife or his kid

You can arbitrarily ask for a court ordered accounting.There appears to be fraud and elder exploitation here even prior to the probate.I agree you need to pursue this through the courts.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. This was very helpful. At least now I know we have some options. Thank you. Enjoy your day.

You too thanks for rating 5 stars, at top of page.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney