Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

As I was just explaining 2 someone I was just talking with I…

Customer Question
As I was just...

As I was just explaining 2 someone I was just talking with I was named to beneficiary to a trust by a woman who I know who had no next of kin the trust is located in a bank in east London and they said I had to open an account with their Bank in order to transfer that money out of the trust to me here in South Carolina I have her deposit certificate which states the amount of the Trust a copy of her will naming me as beneficiary a letter from her attorney obtained by the municipality in London and police authorization to release the funds

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

If you have an email I could send you all of the documentation I have if that would help

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

South Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

A copy of her well naming me the primary and only beneficiary I also have her deposit certificate with the amount in the trust along with the deposit type I have a letter from the municipality of London authorizing the release of the funds and a letter from her attorney stating me as the beneficiary and what the money will be used for

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

I wish there was a way I could attach all of my documentation for you to see

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That I am having trouble with the bank they're saying I need to open an account with them in order for them to transfer the trust into the account that I open there which would cost me $960 before I can transfer or wire that money to me here in the United States

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Estate Law
3/25/2018
Estate Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that you are the target of an internet scam. There's no inheritance and the people you are dealing with are professional thieves. They are making you think that you need to open a foreign account in order to get this so-called inheritance that's being supposedly transferred into your name.

That's nonsense. First of all, you can't open an account in a UK bank unless you have a UK address there. Secondly, there's just no reason that the executor of the estate couldn't simply mail you a check. The only reason that isn't happening is that there is no inheritance.

But if they can fool you with bogus legal requirements into thinking that you are coming into millions of dollars, then they know that you will quite cheerfully wire thousands upon thousands upon thousands of dollars to them, all to collect an inheritance that doesn't really exist, from people who don't really exist either -- at least not as who, what and where they say they are.

In this scam, you are either dealing with an online romance or a so-called dying widow who has reached out to you to carry out her last wish. Either way, you're pomised a hefty chunk of the so-called inheritance. You may not want to believe me, particularly if one of the scammers is your online romance and you believe you're going to get the money and the girl and live happily and wealthily ever after. You'd be making a costly mistake, however. So I'd be happy to look at any documents you have with regard to this matter. You can upload them to this question thread by using the link that says +Add files which is to the right of the Send button.

Any money you transfer to these people you will never see again, and the $900 transfer would only be the first of many such transfers that they are going to claim you need.

Estate Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 30 days ago

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney