Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My sister passed away recently. No spouse. No will. No

My sister passed away...

My sister passed away recently. No spouse. No will. No assets other than a $22,000 IRA with no beneficiary. I am the administrator of her estate. I have a tax ID number. After funeral expenses she's left with 14k of assets. She had 18K in debt. How do I word the initial letter to be sent to the creditors?

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

, a letter stating date of death balance of Ira from the bank. As far as proving she had no assets there is no supporting evidence.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My sister was totally disabled and to my knowledge had not filed a tax return in almost 20 years.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Jersey

3/25/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Have you paid yourself as Administrator yet?

.

.

thanks

I don't know what you mean by that.
I went to the county surrogate and was appointed administrator.

You are entitled to be paid for being Administrator... That debt gets paid prior to other lower priority debts.. So what I am saying is pay yourself first...then spend whatever is left on the debts that you can pay and send a short letter to the remaining ones with a copy of the death certificate stating the estate is insolvent and all funds have been exhausted.

.

Then they will just write off the debts as uncollectible..

.

.

thanks

Although it isn't much, you can pay yourself 5% of whatever her total assets were... So you at least receive something for your time and efforts in settling the estate.

.

.

thanks

Who determines priority of debts? Who do I pay first?

The law does... Any final expenses get paid first, then the executor gets paid, then lower expenses..

.

3B:22-2. If the applicable assets of the estate are insufficient to pay all claims in full, the personal representative shall make payment in the following order:

a.Reasonable funeral expenses;

b.Costs and expenses of administration;

c.Debts for the reasonable value of services rendered to the decedent by the Office of the Public Guardian for Elderly Adults;

d.Debts and taxes with preference under federal law or the laws of this State;

e.Reasonable medical and hospital expenses of the last illness of the decedent, including compensation of persons attending him;

f.Judgments entered against the decedent according to the priorities of their entries respectively;

g.All other claims.

I do not have to file for insolvency in probate court?

No, you just send the short letter to unpaid creditors with a copy of death certificate when the money runs out.

Cool. Thank you barrister. I'll probably wake up with another question tomorrow.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney