Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Have an executor in charge of an estate i n Ma. and has sold…

Have an executor in...

Have an executor in charge of an estate i n Ma. and has sold the home of the deceased to be divided by 4 sisters.Executor claims since the home was sold in 2018 the 4 heirs have to have to wait another year for their claim

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Ma. and the estate is under 500,000

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Executor is not sharing any information with her oldest sister me but i looked up in the registry of deeds the home sold for 267,00 and the executor says the CPA and lawyer that everyone has to wait till 2019 for any inheriitance .The 267,000 is sitting in a bank account in Ma.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is the wait time another year and should the executor share info with the other 3 sisters?

3/25/2018
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
I find it highly unusual that an estate would have to remain open for an additional year before Distributing the proceeds of a real estate sale. However, you did not say how long the estate has already been open and that might make a difference. You have the right to request an explanation from the executor, including references to any state statutes that might require such a delay. Then you can have the response reviewed by another probate attorney. You might even tell the executor that is what you intend to do
I hope that this Answer receives a positive rating. If you have follow-up questions please don't hesitate to ask.
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Thank you. The Estate has already been open nearly 6 months
I believe that in Massachusetts creditors have one year from the date of death to file claims against the estate. That would not explain why the executor is delaying distribution for so long.
Mother passed away on September 30th 2017 and the house was deeded over to someone on FEB 2 2018 which I found out myself and the price myself as the executor is tight lipped only saying it will probably be a year due to financials for any distributions.It was a simple estate said the executor in the beginning and all there was is a checking account, ( which she was a signer on the the past 12 months)bonds,and the house.
Due to financials"?? That needs to be explained in detail.