Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My mother in law recently died at the age of 93.She was a…

My mother in law...

My mother in law recently died at the age of 93.She was a patient in a nursing home for 2 years. Her husband died in 1976. They had 1 son who was my husband. He died in 2015. My husband and I have 2 daughters who are now in their 40's. When my mother in law entered the nursing home she claimed to have no family . She gave POA to a neighbor and left a will. I have no knowledge of the contents of her will. I would like to see my 2 daughters receive something from their grandmothers estate. How do I find out the contents of the will?

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

Minnesota. The nursing home is located in Pine Island which I believe is in Goodhue County. I don't know what has been filed or where. She died 3/17/18 and was buried 3/19/18 according to the newspaper.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Her obit. I talked to the Funeral Home Director who buried her and was given the name of the individual who made the arrangements. He is the one who told me the lady had POA for my mother in law. Of course, I have my husbands birth certificate, death certificate and copy of o our marriage cert.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Only that my husband and his mother had an argument 27 years ago and were to stubborn to reconcile. I don't want anything from her but I feel her granddaughters are entitled to their inheritance, if there is anything.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/22/2018
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question.

A POA is revoked upon the death of the person that gave the power of attorney. Therefore,, once your mother-in-law died the power of Attorney was automatically revoked. If she died without a will your daughters are entitled to their grandmother's estate through the laws of intestate succession. Which State and County did she reside in the time of her passing?

Minnesota....Goodhue County I believe

The POA was not valid after her death. Your daughters can file for probate in Goodhue County, They would also check to see if a will was filed with the county. It does not matter what she told anyone with regard to her family. If she had no will your daughters will inherit from her. If she had a will you would need to see what the will states. Let me provide the link for you to check as this is a public forum and I do not want you to publish private information. One moment please.

This is the link to contact the court to see if a will was filed. This link also provides forms. http://www.mncourts.gov/Find-Courts.aspx

I can provide a link for Attorneys in that area that provide FREE consultations if that would be helpful?

Would you like a link for Attorneys in the area?

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund. You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out. Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars? Thank you for your consideration.

Do you have any additional questions for me?

I would like the link for Attorneys in the area...free consultations please

My pleasure. One moment please.

Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Thank you.

I have checked with 3 surrounding Counties and non of them have a Will on file for my mother in law. I have been told she had a will. Where else do I look?

Your daughter would open probate in the county your mother-in-law resided in at the time of her death under the laws of intestate succession (No Will) The local Attorneys can assist.