Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Sorry but I lost the connection a few minutes ago. I need to…

Sorry but I lost...

Sorry but I lost the connection a few minutes ago. I need to know if the last name of the executor changes before the will of the person passes does the will have to be updated ? The state I'm in is Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Last Will and Testament

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

It may be helpful to avoid confusion, if that is a possibility, but if the executor is identified by a relationship, such as "My daughter, ***** *****" and she gets married and becomes "***** *****", it is pretty easy to prove to the court that they are one and the same.

So, it is not likely to cause a problem.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Attorney