Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My dad died 4 years ago in Ohio. I have one brother and 3…

My dad died 4...

My dad died 4 years ago in Ohio. I have one brother and 3 sisters who are his legal children. My mom (who was married to my dad) died over 10 years prior to my dad's death. My dad did not have a will. I live in Kentucky. What can I do to get the property legally sold and split up between all five of us siblings?

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have my dad's and mom's death certificate. I've called the Ford company's lawyers and they have one will, but it was not signed. I called the Ford legal representatives from Lorain, Sandusky, and Detroit. No information. I checked with the lawyer association because my dad's lawyer died prior to my dad. And they do not have a will on file. I checked with the courts and there is not a will on file.

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

I live in Kentucky. My dad lived in Sandusky, Ohio (Erie County)

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No ma'am.

3/22/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Does your father's estate exceed $35,000 (approximately)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could we do the typing back and forth?

Then you will need to file a petition for probate of an intestate estate.

The estate will need to be probated in the county where your late father resided on the date of his death.

Since you live out of state, it is advised that you retain an attorney in Sandusky, OH.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys, themselves, use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I will do that.

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Attorney
Loren, Attorney