Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My Mother recently passed. She had two small life ins

My Mother recently passed...

My Mother recently passed. She had two small life ins policies as her assets and a known small amount of hospital bills due and an unknown amount of new hospital bills due from a recent week stay. Do we need to probate this small estate and if not, how to we need to do death notification other than an obituary ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Pennsylvnia

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Her bank ck account ( I have been paying her bills ) and the two ins policy information. ALso the bill from the Funeral home

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's about all there is I'm afraid to say. I don't want to spend money that we don't have on CPA or legal fees if I don't have to. I'm named exec of the will.

3/22/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

If you can access bank account here and life insurance passed to you as named beneficiary I would try to skip probate. Unless you have assets like a house here if you can dodge probate you can dodge creditors.

It all comes down to whether she had something titled in her name that makes it necessary to file probate.Otherwise keep the money here tell the creditors she died insolvent and there is no probate and need to close out the accounts.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney