Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My husband died in Feb of 2018. I did not know the tax debt…

Customer Question
My husband died in...

My husband died in Feb of 2018. I did not know the tax debt we were in until he passed, we owe 167,000. My CPA is filing injured spouse for 2016 and 17 (which is 100,000 debt) I'm 56 and I make 100,000 with a mortgage payment of 2400, I can't refinance because the IRS has a lean on our home. My husband is owed 300,000 in commissions, however he did not have a will and I was not listed on stocks he purchased or his checking account. I don't know what to do or where to start?

Lawyer's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

In the state of IN sinc there is not a will I have to make it public ally known there is an estate and take it to probate. I need to keep as much of the money as possible for my kids and paying bills, because I don't make enough to cover my mom holy expenses. Do I wait as long as I can to publicize his estate? Can the commissions be placed legally in my 23 year old son's name in a trust?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 day by:
3/22/2018
Estate Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 3 months ago
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed estate attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you! First, all of the assets in your husband's sole name must go through probate. I would do this as soon as possible so that you can get access to the money as soon as possible. Was this your first marriage for both of you? Did he have children from another marriage?